Longboard wheels are important to the smooth performance of your board; for a longboard to run fast, slide, grind and stablely ride over the ground, you need good wheels that will fit your needs. There are many different brands, models and styles of longboard wheels available in 2021, which makes choosing the best pair a difficult choice for beginners.
The longboard wiki team has come up with a review of some of the top 16 longboard wheels of this year, in an attempt to provide an objective review. We have compiled a list of known good brands and styles worth considering. We have also provided details about the pros and cons of each wheel, to help you decide which pair might be right for you.
|Orangatang Caguama 85 mm Longboard Wheels||Best Overall|
|Bigfoot Longboard Wheels 76mm 80A SHR Mountain Cruisers||Budget Pick|
|Sector 9 Skiddles 70Mm 78A||Upgrade Pick|
1. Orangatang Caguama 85 mm Longboard Wheels
- Kicked out of the longboard community
- First widely popular wheels
- Consistent ride throughout the lifespan
- Deferrable excitement
- Not as strong as wheels of the same price
- Harsh sliding
The Orangatang Caguama longboard wheels are a real bang for your buck. They have a large contact surface so you can cruise at high speeds with ease.
Not only that but they come in a wide variety of colors so you can match your skateboard with your skill level and style. The wheels are also firm rather than soft, allowing for a smooth ride but also holding the road better at high speeds.
Overall you get a pretty smooth slide when you push and kick out. However, one of the biggest drawbacks of these wheels is that the urethane is very hard.
2. Orangatang in Heat 75 mm Downhill Longboard Skateboard Cruising Wheels
- Wheels come in both purple and orange color choices
- 75mm in size, which is perfect for all types of skating, and they’ve been tested and proven to be able to ride anything
- They feature a large contact patch which on something like a downhill board allows you to apply unreal amounts of torque onto the board as it skates down a line
- Fantastic for taking on and riding cracks, ledges, and over anything different that you might encounter on a skate session
- The wheels go on fast and easy, and are held on to the board with a robust axle nut that is adjustable
- Get the feel of riding downhill boards with the best slide puck, the new X-Ray slide pucks
- Just a bit over the average price of skateboarding wheels
- The wheels really are that good and they’ve earned a reputation for riding over anything in their way longboarder's love them
- Reminds me of that Nefertiti song… "Oh, I love Orangatang"
- You’re gonna love these wheels because they’re fast, grippy, and very durable
3. Orangatang Stimulus 70 mm Freeride Longboard Skateboard Wheels
- Smooth ride
- Sturdy urethane
For those searching for the best longboard wheels 2020 review. Here’s our take.
The Stimulus wheels have a classic shape that comes in three sizes: 55mm, 65mm, and 75mm. The 70mm, which we’re reviewing in this article, is the optimal size. They’re the perfect balance between a longboard and a cruiser.
They also feature a relatively hard durometer rating of 78A so they’re sturdy and won’t wear down too fast on those rough rides through the city. The Stimulus wheels are even compatible with longboard skateboards!
4. Orangatang 4 President 70 mm Cruising Longboard Skateboard Wheels
- Great for any weather condition
- Very high roll speed
- Amazing maneuverability
- A good balance of grip and slide
- Pros won’t leave you in the dust!
- Slippery when wet
- Firmer than most street wheels, which may make for a slightly harsh ride at times.
- A bit harder to break-in than softer wheels.”
These are just a few of many positive reviews you’ll find online for these high-quality wheels.
We like to think of these wheels as the total package. They’re great for both carving and pushing, they roll very smoothly whether the surface is dry or wet, and you’re going to appreciate that they’re very sturdy and won’t give you any trouble if you have to hit the park gap. They are designed to be taken anywhere and used on any kind of surface.
The grip is just right and you can always count on the 4 Prezis to give you a smooth ride. What we like best is the fact that the board is amazingly controllable under your feet, almost as if you were floating on air!
5. Orangatang Kegel 80 mm Downhill Longboard Skateboard Cruising Wheels
- Good choice for downhill
- Compact size
The Kegel 80 mm longboard wheel from Orangatang offers a great mix of speed, control, and stability. It's ideal for people who like to ride fast and take corners aggressively. It's the perfect wheel for intermediate/advanced skaters who are looking for something heaver than a soft wheel but lighter than a heavier freeride wheel.
The Kegel is soft, wide, and made from high-quality urethane. The Kegel 80 mm is ideal for riders who like to throw a board around, ride fast, and take corners aggressively.
This wheel is the best longboard wheel for sliding. It's not a heavy wheel, so it's not a wheel to buy if you want something for rallying, sliding is one of this wheel's best attribute.
6. FREEDARE 70mm Longboard Wheels
- ABEC-7 Bearings for smoother rolling and long-lasting use
- Pre-installed spacers for better performance and ease
- Side walls are deep for a stronger die-cast mold
- Great price!
- Good wheel at a low price
Are you looking to buy best longboard wheels for cruising? Are you really looking for the best longboard with wheels for cruising? Then you should go with a set of longboard wheels by Freerare.
These 70mm longboard wheels offer great performance, versatility and durability. You get a set of 4 wheels with 8 ABEC-7 Bearings. The bearings are smooth and the spacers are ABEC 7 quality. Since the wheels are versatile, you will get 13.5 inches in the set. Wheels of this size are great for cruising, carving, and pumping.
Freerare 70mm Longboard Wheels is a great choice for cruising. It is a 100% reliable and a durable all-around choice. It is a good choice for those who want to cruise and go to an occasional downhill session. It performs well on the street and is durable to last long. It is a good pair of longboard wheels for a beginner and an intermediate rider.
7. 70mm Longboard Skateboard Wheels + ABEC 7 Bearings Spacers
- Durable ABEC 7 bearings for a smooth ride
- ABEC 7 bearings with a wide contact patch help to eliminate both wheel bite and wheel slip
- Can be used with 80mm boards
- Made from top-quality materials
- Great for cruising, carving, and freestyle
- Coated in polyurethane giving them an awesome gliding trait
These wheels are great for beginners. Their softness lacks efficiency and allows for them to get flats more often. You might want to upgrade to something different when you’re more confident in riding your board.
The ABEC 7 bearings are some of the best you will find on any longboard skateboard wheels. Their quality ensures a smooth, quiet ride thanks to precision ball bearings and roller races that create an ideal surface for the balls to roll smoothly. This way, the wheel will not slow down, increasing the life of the wheel and reducing friction.
The wheel itself is a classic shape, but made of durable materials. The ABEC-7 bearings and bushing provide for a smooth ride you will be pleased with.
8. Powell Peralta Rat Bones Re-Issue Skateboard Wheels
- Can go on any deck
- Great brand recognition
The Powell Peralta Rat Bones Re-Issue wheels are one of the best wheel options when you want to invest in a high-quality set of wheels that will last you a long time. They worked with the top experts in the industry to make this one of the most legendary skateboard wheel brands out there today.
The wheels are available in a variety of different styles. You can choose from a classic super hard set, or you can choose a softer set with a smooth finish.
9. Shark Wheel 70 mm 78a Longboard Wheels
- Durable and fast wheel
- Very resistant to
- They consist of 7 high-rebound urethane
- These wheels are the most
- Wheel size: 70 x 51 mm, they fit most
- They are small wheel that
- Wheels are sold in packs of 4
- If you have a
- Great for cruising, carving, pumping, and freeriding
- Small wheels, if you leave them being out
- Provide little control and precision
- These wheels aren’t the
- They might not be the
- The wheels aren’t
It’s time to step your game up with a brand new set of wheels. Get more speed, control, and precision with this set of Shark Wheel 70 mm 78a Longboard Wheels.
10. Fireball Beast 76mm Longboard Skateboard Wheels
- Available in different sizes
- Built-in ABEC-7 bearings
- Enjoyable ride
The Fireball Beast longboard wheels are going to be perfect for beginner downhill longboarders and casual riders out there.
These wheels are made of high-quality PU (Polyurethane). When it comes to longboards, you want tread with lots of grip so you can hang on to your board, particularly on downhill runs when the wheels can start to slide on rougher terrain. Fireball Beast will provide a smooth ride over the roughest of terrains you can imagine.
You also get a super responsive carve. These wheels are great for carving! You cannot imagine how perfect these wheels are for long hours of fun!
11. Sector 9 Skiddles 70Mm 78A
- Great for downhill riding since they are made of grippy material
- Supreme speed
- Best Grip Wheels
- Durable and perfect for outdoor and indoor tracks
- Great for riders who enjoy speed
- Perfect for beginners since they are smooth and don’t require a lot of force to push and turn
- High performance wheels
- High-quality wheels
- Not ideal for people who want to learn tricks
- For riders who want to learn large jumps and need extreme grip wheels
Skiddles are best longboard wheels for riders who want to enjoy downhill riding or adventure traveling as its African design and high performance wheels makes it durable to roll over rugged surfaces. Skiddles are also great wheels for skate parks as they are made of high-quality urethane. Skiddles are perfect for use at home and in leisure, making it one of the best longboard wheels in the market.
12. Bigfoot Longboard Wheels 76mm 80A SHR Mountain Cruisers
- Available in 4 colors
- Great grip for riding downhills
- High rebound wheels
The Bigfoot Longboard Wheels are considered top of the line by most longboarders.
They have a steel axle and an 80A SHR (Super High Rebound) inner core. These features make them the perfect longboard wheels to be used by beginner riders, tricksters, and even experts. This feature will provide you with a smoother ride, which will allow you to develop basic skills and tricks.
Furthermore, these longboard wheels are made of a material that is flexible and durable. This will allow you to boost your speed without sacrificing control. With this set, you are guaranteed a rapid directional change and the moment you choose to brake.
13. Sector 9 Slide Butterballs Skate Wheels Set of 4
- Great with smooth pavement
- Excellent slide
- Great Responsive trucks
- Bearings that are great
- Great for long distance riding
- Great for downhill
- Great for cruising
Sector 9 Slide Butterballs Skate Wheels are good longboard wheels but more specifically they are longboard downhill perfect.
These are square shape wheels that are hard urethane.
When you are out on the road, there are things that you will need to consider, such as comfort, the ease of transportation, speed, and lifespan of the wheels.
14. Orangatang Kilmer 69 mm Freeride Longboard Skateboard Wheels
- High quality and small urethane contact point
- Strong lip to lock the wheels into place
- Low surface area to give a fast roll
- Shape makes it easy to slide, kick, and trick with
- Works well on rough and smooth roads
The Orangatang Kilmer longboard wheel is a top pick among professional longboarders such as Chris Haslam and has been featured in a variety of media publications. It can handle the roughest roads and offers a great control thanks to its low surface area.
The Kilmer still maintains a big contact patch with a 7.5×46.5mm and a contact patch of 1.6mm. Another reason the Kilmer is still one of the best longboard wheels is because of Orangatang’s high-quality urethane. The material on the Kilmer is some of the toughest you’ll find. It snaps back into shape pretty quickly so you won’t have any trouble using this wheel.
15. ABEC 11 SuperFly Black Longboard Skateboard Wheels
- They're super smooth
- Perfect for downhill speed
- They have a good wear-resistance
If you’re looking for a smooth ride and a quick downhill stride, the ABEC 11 SuperFly black longboard skateboard wheels are a great option.
They’re perfect if you’re into carving, freeride, and downhill.
They’re also famous for wear resistance. While your board performs great over long distances and at high speeds, they’re unlikely to leave you on the side of the road.
16. Seismic Speed Vent Longboard Wheels
- Domed top shape
- Wide contact patch
- Concave design
- High rebound urethane formula
This is a great choice for a longboard riding beginner, thanks to its effects that are optimal for cruising and carving. These Seismic speed vent wheels are made with quality urethane that’s said to have a medium rebound and they feature a durable, hard, 78A-grade rubber core.
Moreover, the wheels are known for their cool transition from the top to the sides, thanks to the vent-controlled traction grooves. Moreover, the urethane formula also gives the chance for a smooth ride.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What wheels are best for longboards?
There are several different factors to consider when shopping for longboard wheels. So, let’s take a look at everything you might want to know about longboard wheel technology.
The first thing is to determine whether you’ll be riding your board on pavement or surfaces with plenty of grip. Many well-known downhill skateboarders tend to prefer a soft, highly-flexible longboard wheel. This softness allows them to allow the wheel to dig into the road so they can create some awesome slides.
However, if you’ll be doing most of your riding on smooth surfaces, especially concrete and asphalt, you’ll want to look for wheels with a little more traction. In fact, some longboarders recommend washboard truck wheels because they’re meant to improve traction while turning and stopping on the pavement.
Are Bigger wheels better for longboarding?
Yes and no. Bigger wheels are generally considered to be better at downhill racing, because they have a larger contact point with the ground and can easily absorb bumps and impacts. However, they aren't as good at turning. Smaller wheels are preferred for freeriding, because they allow for easier turning and more precise movements.
So the size of wheels is not really an important factor, unless you're planning to do downhill racing/freeriding. What you should be paying attention to is the shape of the wheel.
Here you can see a detailed description of the most popular longboard wheel shapes.
What are the fastest longboard wheels?
The fastest longboard wheels are 80a or higher and you should really only use these if you’re very advanced. In fact, if you have not ridden a longboard before, then you should probably choose the 60-durometer wheels.
Longboard wheels are measured on the “A” scale. The “A” scale is measured in degrees Fahrenheit, which can be a little tricky. The higher the number on the “A” scale, the harder the wheel. 80a is the highest durometer rating on the “A” scale and these wheels are relatively hard and fast.
Which wheels are best for skateboards?
Most of the wheels available are made from dark colored polyurethane material and are 57mm, 59mm or 62mm in diameter. The soft characteristics of this material make them ideal for cruising, downhill riding or longer trips where you have to carry the skateboard. The best skateboard wheels for this reason are the ones that are softer and lighter.
Remember, the harder the wheel, the faster the board. That’s why a lot of longboard makers recommend harder wheels for racing. They also make the riding experience incredible for wider decks and beginners.
Longboards come in different shapes and sizes. Most of them are created with larger wheels so they are easier to take for daily tasks, however, if you’re buying a set of wheels for a longboard, you still need to take the deck into consideration. Hard wheels turn easier on a very wide deck. On a narrower deck, they get difficult to turn.
If you’re looking to get into a longboard wheel upgrade, or want to find out which are the best longboard wheels on the market, then we’re going to help you out with this guide. We have analyzed the best longboard wheels on the market that are currently available in 2021. We have positive reviews for each one. You should definitely read our thoughts and review on each longboard wheel, so you can get a better idea of which ones are the best.
|Orangatang Caguama 85 mm Longboard Wheels||Best Overall|
|Bigfoot Longboard Wheels 76mm 80A SHR Mountain Cruisers||Budget Pick|
|Sector 9 Skiddles 70Mm 78A||Upgrade Pick|